Friday, May 30, 2008

Summertime!!??


So it looks like Carissa pretty much covered my birthday, even my own personal Joe Pesci stepping on a nail in "Home Alone" experience. So I'm pretty excited it's summertime! I'm taking a class this summer but it's just one 3 credit hour class to fulfill a "diversity" class that I need to graduate. Last semester was pretty good, I actually ended up getting a 4.0 and really enjoyed my classes even though my Information Systems class sucked up most of my free time. My favorite class was my Political Communication class with Peter Watkins a former Spokesman for Laura Bush in the Bush Whitehouse. He brought in a lot of good speakers like Mike Allen the Chief Political Correspondent for Politico and Josh Romney who talked about his experience campaigning for his Dad. It's really enjoyable to get insight from a professor who is connected and involved in what they teach. 

So Monday Carissa and I went to the Death Cab for Cutie concert, I think Death Cab brought the weather from Seattle down with them (It did not feel like Memorial Day). I'm glad I brought the ever prepared Carissa Lee with me who thought to pick up poncho's for the rain or shine outdoor show. It was raining when we got to the venue, but it ende
d up clearing up by the time we got into amphitheatre. 



We ran into Lyndie & her date Ben before the show and hung out with them all night. So I have never seen Death Cab which was one of the reasons we kicked around the idea of going up to Sasquatch festival but when I found out they were coming here we had to go. Tegan and Sara opened which wasn't bad, I've never really gotten into their music but all I have to say is after they finished their set a whole lot of females left the show, got in their Suburu Outbacks & went back home to the Avenues. 

Death Cab opened up playing "Bixby Canyon Bridge" off their new album and proceed with some of their classic songs like, "The New Year," "Soul Meets Body," "Title and Registration," &  "Movie Script Ending." I'm a big fan of their guitarist Chris Walla who frequently uses loops, delays & distortions that add a lot of depth to their sound. Ben Gibbard is a great vocalist & lyricist, he played an acoustic solo of "I will follow you into the dark" which the crowd ate up. They followed up with several songs of their new album Narrow Stairs, all in all I thought it was a good performance and I'm glad they came to Utah this summer. 



So for the rest of the summer we picked up John Mayer & Colbie Caillat tickets (Carissa's excited!) Jack Johnson w/Rogue Wave & Neil Halstead, and G.Love w/John Butler Trio and Tristian Prettyman. We're going to Les Miserables in August at the Tuhacan theatre with Ryan & Heather Sessions which will be cool and we're also doing the Disneyland half marathon over Labor Day weekend. I know I've left out some stuff but Carissa will keep it posted. 



No comments: