Sunday, May 17, 2009

13.1 Miles Completed

The Ogden Marathon was such a beautiful run and so well put on. For all the pain you have to go through it is well worth the feeling you get when you go across that finish line. 

It all started with the alarm going off at 4:00 am I didn't sleep very well because the nerves in my body would not let my mind sleep. I got ready and had family pray in our hotel room. We had to be bused to the starting line which was up Ogden Canyon at Pineview reservoir.  I knew it was going to be pretty cold so I brought some old sweats that happened to be white, Kelly Sue said I looked like a snowman but when it's that early in the morning and freezing cold you could careless what you look like. 

At 4:45 am we were on the bus and heading up the canyon. We arrived at the start of the race and there were bonfires that we could stand around and get warm, well that is if you could get close enough. After waiting patiently to stand right in front of the fire Kelly Sue and I and  we were grateful for the warmth. We waited over an hour before taking our place at the starting line. 

7:00 am the race started and we were off. The first couple miles were a little difficult for me to find my groove and get some things situated which included: adjusting my belt to fit better around my waist, tying my shoe lace, taking of my jacket and running up hill for the first couple miles. Finally around mile 3 I started to feel good and established a consistence pace. It's funny how your mind starts to wonder when you are out running. Around mile 7 I was thinking "I'm half way done I CAN DO THIS!" I didn't have a watch on me so I started calculating in my head how fast I was going. Was i going to beat my personal record and come in under 2 hours and 50 mins? (I'm not a very fast runner). I came out of the canyon and arrived at mile 10 when I noticed that my left knee started hurting, I think from the high impact of running down hill most of the way. I knew that if i would stop then it would be so hard to get my body moving again. As soon as I passed mile 12 I knew that I was almost done, I thought to myself I can do anything for 1 mile...PUSH IT! When i saw the finish line I started to feel emotional knowing that I was so close to the finish line, I was almost done. My official time 2:32, I beat my previous personal best time by 18 mins and that was an awesome feeling. At the end of the race they gave out Jamba Juice and Great Harvest Bread, it was such a refreshing treat. All my family members finished and accomplished their goals, it was such a great race I would highly recommend the Ogden 1/2 Marathon. 

No comments: